Dixie Evans, the 'Marilyn Monroe of Burlesque,' dies at 86
Long Beach native Dixie Evans emphasized the tease in her striptease act imitating Marilyn Monroe. She later ran a burlesque museum and remained a tireless promoter of the art.
- From my archives, with newspaper ad.
- There are lots of online references to Dixie Evans, including interviews and videos. Here are but a few of my picks:
Jo Weldon's interview with Dixie-- on Alarm Press.com
- "Oh, my name is Mary Lee Evans. My grandmother’s name was Dixie. I always thought Mary was too bland and so I changed it in third or fourth grade. I was born in Long Beach, California and raised in Hollywood..."
- Java's Bachelor Pad's page on Dixie, with pix.
- Roadside America's page on Dixie, and Exotic World, with pix of Dixie.
interview with Dixie, with pix,from The Sun Runner magazine.
According to an article in the Las Vegas Sun newspaper, Dixie's painted plaster bust was one of the sculptural busts of stars of the bump and grind that were on display in “Breast Defense: Glamour Girls for Early Detection” at the Fallout Gallery on Commerce Street, Las Vegas, for 2008's Exotic World weekend.
- See a
video of Dixie performing!
- She's in "Best of Burlesque" DVD available on Amazon.
The Burlesque Babes Blog is published by burlesquebabesshop.com
LADIES OF BURLESQUE (RARE SOUNDTRACK VOCALS LP, LTD ISSUE)
Check out our "Burlesque Babes Amazon Picks" shop for fun Burlesque-themed books and videos available thru Amazon.