Just "Click the Pix" to see a larger view.
- From my archives.
Sherry Britton, dubbed "GREAT BRITTON", was very well-known, and had many fans and admirers. There is a lot written about her online.
One of her favorite sayings was: "I strip, but I don't tease!"
- According to the Sherry Britton wikipedia page, she was born Edith Zack, in New Jersey, 1918 (died 2008).
"... When burlesque went by the wayside due to the NYC ban in 1940, Britton turned to plays, eventually appearing in almost 40 of them. Britton also spent much time during WWII entertaining troops, for which she was made an honorary Brigadier General by President Franklin D. Roosevelt.
Britton was performing in Washington, D.C. clubs as late as 1958 (at or near age 40). She was barred from appearing at the 1964 New York World's Fair, because she was too risque. She instead became a cabaret singer and appeared in many theater productions. ..."
- Sherry appeared in the December 7, 1945 issue of YANK. The "For The Boys" site has a pic of Sherry, and shares a memory of her.
- There's lots of info about Sherry here on the Old Hollywood Glamour site, where she is remembered by Zorita as:
"... without a doubt the sexiest broad that I ever met in my life. ..."
- Sherry is featured in the HBO documentary film PRETTY THINGS by Liz Goldwyn, who collected burlesque costumes and memorabilia, and interviewed many Burlesque Babes. Here's a link to the companion book PRETTY THINGS on Amazon.
- From a touching obit/article on Playbill.com:
"... Once asked if she would still strip if she could live her life all over again, she said, ''Yes. But I would have a different view of it. I would know it was a steppingstone. I'd not take it so personally, what people said. I look at pictures of myself then. I should have at least known I was pretty. ..."
- Jo Weldon writes about her friendship with Sherry on her blog. Here's a link to a pic of Jo Weldon with Sherry Britton, June 5, 2007.
- And here's a link to Jo's blog writings that mention Sherry Britton, with more pix, including Sherry's college graduation pic.
- From Sherry Britton's NY Times obit:
"... Ms. Britton was the onstage narrator of “Best of Burlesque,” a two-hour show at the Carnegie Hall Playhouse, which also starred an eye-rolling Tom Poston as the top banana, or star comedian. With poker-faced chorus girls singing off-key and rhythmically chewing gum, the show spoofed what was by then a lost art form. ..."
- Sherry narrated the record album as well. Kara Mae's Unicornmeat site has some pix, and a link to an audio recording of Sherry from the record: MGM Records Presents "THE BEST OF BURLESQUE."
- Sherry Britton Photo in 13x16 Frame photo print for sale in my Burlesque Babes Shop.
- Sherry Britton Photo on BIG 18x18 Throw Pillow for sale in my Burlesque Babes Shop.
- Sherry Britton Large 6x4 Postcards (Package of 8) for sale in my Burlesque Babes Shop.
See more of my great prints today in my online shop-- BURLESQUE BABES, with 100's of Sexy Burlesque Stripper photos printed from my huge vintage photograph collection.
The Burlesque Babes Blog is published by burlesquebabesshop.com