Just "Click the Pix" to see a larger view.
- She was billed as:
- America's Foremost Sepia Singing Ecdysiast
- The Duke's Delight, referring of course, to Duke Ellington
- Said Toni:
"My stage name is based on the name of my friend Duke Ellington. I just put the "ton" at the beginning with an "i" at the end! Duke is a friend and one of my favorite people. I got his permission and his blessing -- he told me to use his music, his name, anything I needed. I wanted to make it on my own so I never said anything about the Ellington relationship until a few years later when I decided to have flyers made; I put on there that he was my mentor. He loved it!"
- Read Jo Weldon's Daily Burlesque interview with Toni.
- " Toni Elling made quite a splash at the Exotic World Striptease Reunion in 2006 when she was interviewed by Lottie the Body, and another strong impression when she performed at the 2007 Reunion. She is a wonderful, graceful, energetic performer, and I can listen to her stories endlessly. She was good enough to give me a full two hours of her time... "
- In her interviews, Toni mentions how her friend Rita Revere influenced her.
Here are a couple of quotes from another interview, Paradise Regained Detroit's Legends of Burlesque Reminisce, from metrotimes.com.
- Toni's pathway into the world of striptease came in the form of her friend, a famously statuesque exotic dancer named Rita Revere. "She kept telling me, 'You can do this, you can do it,' and she told me how much money she made. But I was so bashful."
See many more vintage Burlesque Stripper photos and gift items today in my online shop-- BURLESQUE BABES, with 100's of Sexy Burlesque Strippers from my huge vintage photograph collection.
The Burlesque Babes Blog is published by burlesquebabesshop.com