Just "Click the Pix" to see a larger view.
Today's Vintage Burlesque Dancer photos: the lovely CARMELA ~ The Sophia Loren of Burlesque! ~ The Torrid Twister
- From my archives, with newspaper ad.
- I'm pretty sure that the gal pictured in the newspaper ad is Princess Lahoma, but I guess they figured the guys wouldn't notice, or care?
- All of the items above and below were in the same folder in the Rose La Rose archives. But I just wonder, are they even the same girl???
- The ones above say she was The Sophia Loren of Burlesk
- In the ones below, she looks different, and is touted as 1959's Miss Italy.
- However, I couldn't find anything to prove the claim. Here's a great website with lots of photos of the 1959 Miss Universe contest (in Long Beach, Calif.) -- Miss Universe 1959
Photo Gallery, that has pix of 1959 Miss italy.
- And this website, The Dish On The Universe / The Fabulous 1950's, says 1959 Miss Italy was "Maria Grazia Buccella, a voluptuous (38-21½-34½) Italian blonde with a Marilyn Monroe wiggle walk..."
- There was also a 1959 "Miss Italia" named Marisa Jossa, according to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miss_Italia
- Below is one of Carmella's advertising/promo brochures.
- Be sure to "Click the Pic"
- After doing this research, I found a June, 2006 article in the VIEW NEWS, which I think holds more of the truth, and no mention of Miss Italy.
- The reporter talked to Jane Briggeman, of the Burlesque Historical Society.
- And they talked to the woman pictured below, Carmela Rickman.
- Excerpted from the article:
- Jane Briggeman, founder of the Golden Days of Burlesque Historical Society ... annual reunion for old-time burlesque dancers ... One of those women is Sunrise resident Carmela Rickman, 76, who was once known as the Sophia Loren of Burlesk ... When she started dancing, Rickman was known as Carmela the Torrid Twister, but her agent encouraged her to change her stage name to Carmela, the Sophia Loren of Burlesk.
- The article goes on and is interesting, with Carmela's memories, but she never mentions Italy or beauty pageants, and says she was born in the U.S.
- Perhaps there were 2 gals who performed as Carmella, at different times, and they were both filed in the same folder...? But the only confirmed Carmella info I found show the beauty that I have in my shop:
- Carmella Framed Photo Print ~ 13x16 Frame ~ photo print for sale in my Burlesque Babes Shop.
- Carmella Trim to fit 8x10 Frame Photo Print for sale in my Burlesque Babes Shop.
- Carmella Card 5x7 Glossy Photo+Bonus pic inside for sale in my Burlesque Babes Shop.
- Carmella BIG 11x17 Photo Print -- glossy photo print for sale in my Burlesque Babes Shop.
If you have any info, memories, or stories to share, please email me. Thanks!
See more of my great prints today in my online shop-- BURLESQUE BABES, with 100's of Sexy Burlesque Stripper photos printed from my huge vintage photograph collection.
The Burlesque Babes Blog is published by burlesquebabesshop.com