The pix weren't even all named, and there wasn't any extra ads or info. Apparently most of the comics didn't even bother with professional photos with their stage names printed on, at least the ones playing Toledo in the 1960s.
That could be because they just didn't feel good about doing Burlesque... maybe they didn't even have enough money. Here's a Joey Bishop quote I found in this great book:
- Broadway: Its History, People, and Places : an Encyclopedia - Google Books Result
- by Ken Bloom - 2004 - Performing Arts - 679 pages
- Joey Bishop recalls the attitude of the burlesque comics:
"Every burlesque comic felt like burlesque was the end of the road for him. If he flopped he had no where else to go... "Finding info on Burlesque comics is even more difficult than researching the girls. There's a little here and there online, but hopefully more will be added. With google scanning millions of books and magazine's, every day there's more info available on zillions of subjects.
I hope they'll scan all the wonderful old CAVALCADE OF BURLESQUE magazines. They are 95% pix of girls, but the rest features comics -- the Top Bananas of the day. You can even read the scripts of some funny comic bits -- "Gags" as they called them.
You should be able to click the pix to see larger views.
Above is the cover of the 1st issue, Fall 1951. So that means these guys and gals were working in the 1940s. Below are a few comics. My pix are difficult to read. Someday I'll do quality scans of all my Cavalcades, but for now:
- Billy 'Scratch' Wallace / Mike Sachs
- No names...
- Click the pic above -- you might be able to make out the names.
Starting below are the pix that were in my archives, so most of these guys were performing circa 1950s & 1960s :
- Mickey Jay with Rosemary
- Billy Reed with Jean Carroll
- Oaky Miller
- Ken Duric
- Big Ferguson (spelling?)
- Willie Dew
- Silky Silvers
- Bert Gehan
- Erby Wilson
- Pat Burns
- Dick Martin
- Lee Clifford
- Jimmy Calvo
- Phil Lane
- Billy "Cheese'n'Crackers" Hagan (this pic is from the 1951 Cavalcade of Burlesque mag.)
- Jack Hayes (another pic from the 1951 Cavalcade of Burlesque mag.)
The guys below were in my comics folder, but without names:
If anyone has info on a great Burlesque Comics history resource, please let me know-- thanks!
The Burlesque Babes Blog is published by burlesquebabesshop.com